Welcome to the UK Linguistics Olympiad
(UKLO, pronounced /juklou/)
UKLO is a competition, like the Mathematical Olympiad, for students who are still at school (or equivalent college) – any age, any ability level – in which they have to solve linguistic data problems. Thanks to our generous academic supporters, it’s completely free to both competitors and schools. The UK Olympiad also enters a team in the International Linguistics Olympiad.
- For teachers
- For competitors
- For universities
- Our supporters
- Lists of all the people and organisations who make UKLO work.
- UKLO communications and news.
- The UKLO blog.
- The history and geography of the Linguistics Olympiads:
- Similar competitions happen in a number of other countries, though it’s only recently that they’ve taken place in English-speaking countries. International olympiads for school students exist in a number of other subjects, especially in mathematics and the natural sciences; but they also include olympiads in philosophy and geography.
- History of the olympiad in the UK
- Facts about the international olympiad.