Welcome to the UK Linguistics Olympiad
(UKLO, pronounced /juklou/)
UKLO is a competition for students who are still at school (or equivalent college) – any age, any ability level – in which they have to solve linguistic data problems.
- Similar competitions happen in a number of other countries, though it’s only recently that they’ve taken place in English-speaking countries.
- The UK Olympiad also enters a team in the International Linguistics Olympiad.
- We have a large collection of past problems.
- It’s completely free to both competitors and schools.
- The educational rationale behind Linguistics Olympiads.
- A list of other language-related competitions for school children.
- UKLO and state schools.
- International olympiads for school students exist in a number of other subjects, especially in mathematics and the natural sciences; but they also include olympiads in philosophy and geography.
- Lists of all the people and organisations who make UKLO work.
- UKLO communications and news.
- The UKLO blog.
When and where?
- The history and geography of the Linguistics Olympiads:
Visits since 6 July 2010: