What are the test problems like?
A great many questions from previous linguistics olympiads, plus some specially-constructed ones, are available below:
- A benchmark set of problems taken from past competitions, which we aim to match in terms of difficulty in future competitions.
- All the UKLO test problems since 2010, listed individually and graded for difficulty. All include answers and some include explanations.
- The UKLO test papers and problems from:
- Breakthrough Workout – a collection of very easy problems (suitable for Breakthrough level) plus their answers.
- Seasonal puzzles for Christmas
- Your problems – a collection of problems created by previous UKLO champions.
- the past puzzles on the AILO (Irish) website.
- a large collection of problems, of different levels of difficulty, on the NACLO (North American) site.
- Two books of puzzles in English, complete with solutions and (in some cases) explanations: Dragomir Radev, Puzzles in Logic, Languages and Computation (Springer, 2013). The hardback or e-book edition costs about £30 each (no paperback version available at present); the volumes contain 50+ puzzles each, and the puzzles are classified for difficulty.
- the very difficult problems for the International Linguistics Olympiad. (Click Problems.)
A Powerpoint show for Training
This can be found here.