What are the test problems like?
- UKLO problems:
- Problems from other countries:
- A powerpoint show for training
- All the UKLO test problems since 2010, listed individually and graded for difficulty. All include answers and some include explanations.
- The UKLO test papers and problems from:
- Breakthrough Workout – a collection of very easy problems (suitable for Breakthrough level) plus their answers.
- Seasonal puzzles
- Two tiny problems distributed at the British Academy Summer Showcase in Summer 2018:
- Georgian (author: Babette Newsome)
- Visible speech (author: Daniel Harbour)
- A benchmark set of problems taken from past competitions, which we aim to match in terms of difficulty in future competitions.
- a database listing the problems and showing their relative difficulty (revised Nov 26 2014).
- a zipped file containing pdfs of all the problems.
Problems from other countries
- The past puzzles on the AILO (Irish) website.
- Over 1,000 past problems from the North-American (NACLO) website. (Log in as ‘guest’ > ‘guest’.)
- A large collection of problems, of different levels of difficulty, on the NACLO (North American) site.
- Two books of puzzles in English, complete with solutions and (in some cases) explanations: Dragomir Radev, Puzzles in Logic, Languages and Computation (Springer, 2013). The hardback or e-book edition costs about £30 each (no paperback version available at present); the volumes contain 50+ puzzles each, and the puzzles are classified for difficulty.
- The very difficult problems for the International Linguistics Olympiad. (Click Problems.)