Round 2 arrangements
Round 2 is a residential weekend for the best sixteen competitors in Round 1, and generally takes place at the end of March. It is hosted by a university which volunteers to cover most of the costs and all the local arrangements in return for the publicity generated among hundreds of UKLO schools.
The UKLO community is very grateful to these universities which have made round 2 possible:
- 2016: University of Huddersfield
- 2015: Sommerville College, Oxford University
- 2014: Liverpool Hope University
- 2013: St Mary’s University College
- 2012: York University
- 2011: Edinburgh University
- 2010: Sheffield University
The following are some notes on what is involved in hosting Round 2:
- Guests: 16 teenagers (mostly 16-18 years old, both male and female, but including a scattering of younger pupils) plus three experienced tutors.
- Timing: from early Friday evening (about 5 pm) to early afternoon on Sunday (about 2 pm).
- Accommodation and domestic arrangements:
- separate bedrooms for teenagers if possible, and certainly for the tutors.
- a meeting room for 20, with separable tables and chairs – i.e. not a lecture room – within a few minutes walk from the bedrooms.
- meals within a few minutes walk:
- Friday, Saturday dinner
- Saturday, Sunday breakfast and lunch
- The package typically costs £3-4,000.
- The host institution meets as much of the costs as possible.
- UKLO can offer a subsidy of up to £1,000.
- Guests pay nothing.
- Services provided for guests:
- Student volunteers to meet the guests at the local railway station.
- A talk from a local linguist for the Friday evening.
- Transport (typically taxis) to and from the station.
- Light refreshments for the middle of Saturday morning and afternoon.
- Friday: 5-6 arrivals and settling in before supper, followed by a lecture and general discussion.
- Saturday: intensive all-day training sessions till bedtime, with breaks just for meals and refreshments.
- Sunday: breakfast followed by the 3-hour round 2 test, then lunch and farewells.