Please check for updates every other day!
- Mon Jan 31, 2022: end of period for notifying Advanced numbers.
- Thurs Feb 3: test material released on the portal for all levels (see below).
- Feb 7-11: test week for round 1
- Fri Feb 11 (end): deadline for scanning and uploading Advanced scripts.
- Sat Feb 12: solutions for non-Advanced problems released via the portal.
- Mon Feb 28: results announced for the Advanced competition.
- March 14: deadline for entering non-Advanced results in the portal. Soon after that we’ll fix the national thresholds to tell you that you can download your certificates.
- April 4 (tbc): All-clear for releasing publicly all the test material, for all levels including Advanced, and including solutions and marking schemes.
- Mon 31st January: final day for notifying us of your marker capacity.
- Feb 1-4: week for allocation of schools to markers. During this week your page on the portal will show the contact details and script numbers of your school(s).
- Feb 7-11: test week, so all Advanced scripts should have been scanned and uploaded (with lists of names) by the end of Friday 11th.
- Feb 12: The portal will allow you to download:
- the scripts for you to mark (provided they have been uploaded by your assigned teachers)
- complete problem data including the solutions and marking scheme, as well as the data and a commentary.
- Feb 12-21: Marking takes place.
- Monday 21st February: Deadline for uploading points to the portal.
- Monday 28 February: Advanced results announced
- If you have been sent paper scripts with a stamped addressed envelope, please keep them with you till this day in case we need to include them in our shortlist; but on this day you can return them to the school.
- Sun 22.2.13: The solutions and marking schemes that I uploaded yesterday evening contained some small errors which have now been fixed in the uploaded versions. If you downloaded those files before 13.00 on Sunday I’m afraid you should download them again. (The problems involved are #7 and #10.) Very sorry, and thanks to those who spotted the errors.
- Tues 22.2.8: Problem 5. The mentions of “Columbia” should, of course, be “Colombia”! Very sorry – do alert your competitors.
- Mon 22.2.7: Problem 5. Feel free to explain what a machete is if you think they won’t know. Please try to avoid comparing it to a sword – if possible, just give them a picture and explain how it’s used.
- Mon 22.2.7: Breakthrough and Foundation levels. If you downloaded the solutions and marking scheme on Thursday or Friday (see the next bullet), please DON’T start marking, because I’m expecting to revise them in the next day or two when I test-mark some scripts. The official versions will be uploaded on Saturday, so please wait till then. Very sorry if you’re itching to get started …
- Fri 22.2.4: Breakthrough and Foundation levels. (Not a moment of glory here …) I accidentally uploaded the files with solutions for these two levels. When printing them out, please make sure not to include the solutions! The uploaded files are now correct (as of 10 pm Friday evening).
- Fri 22.2.4: Problem 10. During the correction of the minor error below, I uploaded the wrong file – the one with the solution to Problem 10! This has now been corrected.
- Thurs 22.2.3: Problem 10. The footnote contained an obvious error which has been removed. If you downloaded the material before 20.30 on Thursday you’ll have the error, but copies downloaded after that time are correct.
- 17 Feb: The portal issue should have now been resolved. If it is still not working properly, please let email@example.com know as a matter of urgency.
- 16 Feb: Due to some system-internal errors, all of your script allocation are temporarily being invisible. We are aiming to resolve the issue in due course, and will keep you all updated. We apologise for the inconveniences caused.
- 13 Feb: Several errors spotted, with especially serious ones for #7 and #10. For marking, please download the new file that is available from the Portal (which I believe should have now had all errors rectified). [Sorry – sent you a message before I knew about this alert]:
- The correct answer for Q7.2a should be köñö ngb, not könö ngb
- The max points for Q7 are now 30
- The maximum points available for Q7.2 should be 8, and
- The maximum points available for Q7.3 were changed to 15.
- The correct answer for Q8.1 should be a:kä, not ä:kä
- Q8.2d should have a + after ho’/
- Q8.2e should read as +pehe’a+na:we+ or _+pehe’a+na:+we
- The points at the top and next to the answers for Q10 did not align. Please follow the one at the top (not the ones next to the answers)! [Now fixed in the current downloadable file.]
Particular thanks to those who organised markathons:
- Undergraduate Linguistics Association of Britain (ULAB)
- Organiser: Hafren Vaughan
- Participants: Clara Braun, Jie Yu Nicole Chan, Sanjana Joshi, Chunxi Luo, Darwin McNeill, Suzy Park, Eloise Parr, Joana Pocopkaite
- University College London (UCL)
- Organiser: Kazune Sato
- Participants: Klaus Abels, Stefano Castiglione, Abigail Gomez, Elodie Hu, Luisa Hu, Simran Hussain, Hirohito Kanazawa, Haolin Li, Luvia Li, Xingpei Li, Woraprat Manowang, Marta Nagy, Qizhang ‘Sarah’ Shi, Sama Soliman, Yujia Sun, Kriszta Szendroi, Jiayi ‘Amelia’ Tang, Wenkai Tay, Zsofia Varga, Ke ‘Kimmy’ Wang, Vanessa Wu, Lyris Xu, Maggie Zhang, Jiangyue Zhu
- University of Aberdeen
- Organiser: Hafren Vaughan
- Participants: Naomi Black, Roma Dhasmana, Kirsty Gardiner, Emily Heggernes, Emma Johnson, Stephanie Mcwilliams, Jonathan Nielsen, Rebecca Smith, Eleni Spyridou
- Newcastle University