The UKLO competition is provided for free, from the Round 1 and 2 competitions to the residential camp and the international competition, including accommodation and international travel. All our resources on this website are given for free, and we encourage everyone to use them as much as possible.
The cost of the operation is mainly born by a number of generous organisations, but our requests for further funding are strengthened when schools and teachers also support us with donations. We want to continue to give free services to students so that every student in the UK with a pen and a piece of paper can have the chance to compete at the highest levels of problem solving. So we’d like to invite schools and individuals to make a voluntary donation, however small.
Progress so far
- 2022: £1,237 from 6 schools and three individuals
- 2021 (Covid): £297 from 3 schools and one individual
- 2020: £827 from 11 schools and one individual
- 2019: £1,100 from 11 schools and one individual
- 2018: £1,045 from 14 schools
- 2017: £1,857 from 16 schools and three individuals.
We’re hoping to raise £2,000 each year, so here are some additional facts and figures for you to consider:
- In 2017, 137 schools took part (of whom 100 are fee-paying). If they all contributed, £15 per school would produce £2,000, but only 16 of these schools actually contributed, with sums ranging from £15 to £250. (The balance came from particularly generous individuals, whose donations are unlikely to be recurrent.) If those 16 schools had contributed £100 each, making a total of £1,600, we might reasonably expect individual donations to bring it up to our target of £2,000.
- We charge nothing for entry, unlike the Maths Olympiad, where charges for the Mathematical Olympiad ladder range from £18 to £27 per entry (2018 prices).
- The average cost of sending each team member to the International Olympiad is about £800.
How to contribute
Other Donation Options
- BACS: If possible, please pay by BACS directly into the ‘UK Linguistics Olympiad Committee (UKLOC)’ bank account (08-92-99, 65396322). Make sure that your school name is given as a reference.
- If this is helpful, you can download an invoice, which you can edit (as it’s a Word document).
- Please also send an email with the payment details to our schools coordinator, who will record your payment and send an acknowledgement (though she may handle payments in batches, so the acknowledgement could be delayed).
- Credit card: If you prefer to pay by credit card, this can be arranged through one of our sponsoring associations, so please tell the schools coordinator.